Monday, March 2, 2009

Any suggestions...

So I am not sure whether Kaden is ready for potty training or not. Everyone tells me not to miss the window or it can be harder. However, he is still so little and I have also been told that if they aren't ready that can actually be worse and make it take longer. But knowing all of this, last week he kept taking off his diaper when I wasn't looking if he had gone number two. He is also obsessed with sitting on the potty but doesn't sit for very long, not long enough to be sucessful. Well last week I thought I will be really diligent and put him in pullups we were successful with number 2 in the potty but he seemed like he was going number 1 a lot (too often) and having lots of accidents. I don't think he has made the number 1 connection yet. SO I had decided to give it time and we would try again when he was older. But last night as I was making dinner he tells me "I poo poo" I asked him if he wanted to go to the potty he said yes. We ran and almost made it but not quite. Then today as I am doing laundry I hear him in his room yelling "poo poo" I ran again and we half way made it. I just don't know if it is time to be aggressive or if we kind of keep casually trying? Any suggestions?

5 comments:

The Freemans said...

I think potty training is so hard all of mine have been different....Livi was the hardest. At 2 1/2 I started trying and after a week of I can't even count how many accidents I gave up, Six months later we finally had success. Jensen sort of traind like Kaden. I put him in underwear and for three days he had peeing accidents but no pooping accidents. I think putting him in underwear rather than a pullup helped because after a couple of days he became aware of when he was peeing...If you can put up with the mess of accidents it may be worth a try....I always plan on not leaving my house for a couple of days! Good Luck!!!

Mary said...

Congrats on the pregnancy! I second baby boy will be so fun! And I think he seems ready!! But what do I know?

Dehner Family said...

I am like the first commenter - I potty train when I have a few days to not leave the house at all. Then I let my kids be naked - nothing on at all for those few days. Both my kids potty trained within 2 days without accidents (very rare, but it worked with them both). Morgan was barely 2 and Miles was 2 1/2. I think if he's showing interest, strip him down and let him try. How old is he?? If he's younger than 2 and peeing often (like every hour) then his bladder may not be developed enough. If that's the case, it's not fair to make him responsible for something he's not in control of. Good luck! We all love potty training :)

hiatt family said...

Potty training is so hard. Cayden was excited and wanted to potty train. After many many weeks of frustation and tears (the tears being mine), I put it off 6 months until after he was 3. Which was easier that time. So I would definatly try because of his interest, you'll soon tell if it was a success or to wait awhile. Good Luck I hope it goes well!

Sarah said...

Potty training was a hard thing for us...Addie was just like like Caden, and would poop on the toilet but still had a lot of accidents. I finally had to set a timer for every 20-30 minutes and she learned that when it went off we went in to go potty. I tried a lot of things... but when I finally was diligent about the timer, it only took a couple days. I didn't do pull-ups, she would just think they were diapers. I just put her in panties and when we would go somewhere I would put a pullup over the panties. Good luck! I'm not really looking forward to that stage again.