Okay I know hate is a very strong word, but I will never fly on Delta again. First of all I was traveling alone which is never easy with a toddler so I asked my mom if she could get off work and help me go through security and to the gate (I didn't know you could do this but the last couple times I flew Southwest alone they suggested that I have an escort). So she was nice and offered to come help. We get to the airport and my mom and I can hardly get to the counter with all the stuff required to travel with a toddler she thought we might need more than two of us. We get to the counter after wating in a line and the lady says to check my bag I need to go and get in the other line (where 2 people are working and not very quickly) and then the guy tells me it will be 15 dollars, what!!! (I know my bag weighed 50 pounds exactly) but they now charge for one bag and it didn't matter that I made my reservation before the fee change. I pay the money and tell him I need a security escort pass he tells me they don't do that (I told him that southwest always does...well he says Delta DOESN'T!) Then I tell him I obviously have too much to take to the gate alone and will he wrap up my car seat and check it here he says yes he will take care of it (however not nicely he was quite RUDE!). My mom suggests that we should ask TSA about a escort pass because I have my hands full and have had the flu and don't feel great as is. The TSA guy says that we need an airline to print one out we told him the agent said they didn't do that (the guy says yes they do maybe you should ask another agent or just fly southwest, when the TSA guy suggests just flying Southwest I thought yeah I know I was trying to save some money but with the new rules on luggage I don't think I was saving). I was running out of time to go back down stairs to try to get a pass so I said goodbye to my wonderful mom and through security I went. Kaden is screaming and throwing a fit because he wants the milk that is in the sippy cup going through the scanner. In all the furry of trying to undress myself AND undress kaden AND get out liquids AND put the 10 plastic bins through the scanner AND find my ticket AND collapse the stroller while EVERYONE is inpatiently waiting the sweetest TSA guy noticed I was struggling and was so nice to help us get everything through security. I thought okay I can do this and then on the other side realized I had too much stuff to push in the stroller, too much stuff to carry and couldn't keep it all balanced and chase Kaden as he ran every which way (the escort would have been nice at this point). So Kaden goes running away as I am chasing a stroller full of stuff and goes crashing on the tile floor bonks his head so hard and is screaming so hard he is coughing and chocking himself and everyone is staring as I am the spectacle trying to carry a millon things, a kicking crying toddler and push a stroller (an escort would have been nice at this point). We get to the gate and I am on the edge of tears as the Delta lady is tagging my stroller and trying to ask what is wrong. When I tell her my frustrations she blows me off and backs up the agent downstairs (why ask if your are just going to be indifferent and rude) so here we are waiting no really chasing Kaden ALL over including down an emergency exit ramp, towards a runway while literally every passenger is watching trying not to laugh or feel sorry for the poor sweaty, red faced frazzled mom with too much stuff. So we are boarding the plane and my banana republic bag carrying odds and ends breaks. I have pieces of trains from IKea random diapers, clothes from banana and other odds and end things and my other carry on (the diaper bag) is already so full the zipper won't close. So here I am with millions of loose articles dropping things every three feet trying to hang on to Kaden by his hood while person after nice person is offering to help (all of which are passengers not Delta employees). I of course am to stubborn for help but finally one persistant young man took Kaden and some of my loose items and helped me to my seat and to get things in the overhead while the stewardess' all just sat by and watched. We sit on the plane for 20 minutes until the captain calls overhead that his seat won't adjust and matience is working on it we will be off in 15 minutes. 30 minutes later they say it is unfixable and we will have to deplane (meanwhile I am trying my hardest to entertain a very busy 18 month old. So now I have to repeat the ordeal again getting off the plane waiting around for the next plane and then reloading (where did the really nice gentleman go...I need HELP). Well we get on the new plane and Kaden has a blow out (I hate changing diapers in the tiny airplane bathrooms) I am unsure if we are going to take off right away so I ask the steardess if I have time to change it (she wants to know how long it will take I don't know 2-3 minutes?) She tells me I probably don't have time and should wait until after take off, however as we are literally sitting for 30 minutes waiting to be cleared for take off I decide to change the diaper (you know how the soft bum looks after sitting too long soiled and probably also know how that goes in the tiny little bathroom with no changing table...sorry whoever had to clean that bathroom or use it after us!) So the plane eventually is ready for take off Kaden was an angel on the flight he fell asleep during take off and slept the whole time. We get off the plane and I think oh we made it all is well (however what am I going to do when I have more than one child to fly with...oh yeah fly south west). So all is well, UNTIL I get the car seat it is not wrapped in plastic (or taken care of like the rude guy at the counter said he would do) and one of the buckles on the car seat is missing, so unsafe to use and how do we get home? We improvise and do the best we can as parents as safetly as we can since no one is open at midnight at the airport to ask for help or a lost and found. I called the next day and talked to the head lady over baggage she seemed very helpful and said she would send out messages and someone would get back to me (yeah right I will be shocked after my experiance if they do, in the meantime we are staying close to home until we have a fully functioning car seat again). Sorry for this enormous long venting session and sorry if you are a true blue Delta fan...I have personally decided that they are trying to cater only to the bussiness traveler and could care less or even try to make it difficult for families so they will chose not to fly with them and will choose to fly with the very accomodating Southwest!!!
6 comments:
Hey Tiff...sounds like you had a rough day...I can relate. I will definately not fly Delta next time (not that we fly very often). I'm glad you made it home! Sarah
When we moved to Spokane, I flew here with my mother in law and sister in law. It took all three of us to get my twins, the stroller and all our stuff through secuirty. We could have used a couple of escorts more as well. Airport security is not fun with children. Have you noticed the Spokane airport seems to be much more relaxed about the whole security thing? Sorry you had a rough time at the airport! I'll remember the tip about Delta.
I emphasize with every word you said. When we lived in Florida I flew back home to Utah probably 4 or 5 times by myself with my kids and I cried EVERYTIME! The last time I think I cried the entire flight but my problems weren't as much security (although that's enough to make you lose it right there) they were controlling Bowen on the airplane which invariable was a nightmare. Now we live in good ol' UT and thankfully drive to Grandmas house. i hope your flight home is a better experience.
Wow, Tiff, that's quite the story! I've flow a few times alone with Drew, on Delta, Southwest and JetBlue. Delta was the worst. Unfortunately, we have flights to Hawaii on Delta in March (how will I fit everything in one bag -- I don't want to pay them for two suitcases!!) already booked. Luckily I'll have Mike this time. But I can empathize with the bathroom situation; changing diapers in there is GROSS! I usually did it in an out-of-the way carpeted area, since the bathrooms are gross to begin with. It makes me wish I could have been there to help you!!! P.S. Let me know if you're coming again for Christmas!
Hey...I TOTALLY know where you are coming from. I had the EXACT same problem with Delta. I went there thinking I could have and escort (because I had it before with Southwest) and they looked at me like I was SUCH an idiot! Then I asked the TSA and they said I should go back and ask again...still didn't happen. I HATE THEM TOO! I am also looking forward to a flight by myself with Bryce this coming Thursday and I have been waking up in the middle of the night with anxiety because I'm so nervous. It's the WORST! We are one and the same with airline stories. I almost would rather drive for 3 days than fly. I am in a DEAD sweat the ENTIRE time...I truely HATE it too!
Hey Tiff,
I hope you dont mind that I copied your idea on the finals survival kit. It was such a cute idea! I am sorry about your experience traveling home. It sounds like it was awful. I am sure I will feel your pain on Monday when I travel with both the kids by myself. I am definitely not looking forward to it! But I thought would I rather have one day of crazyiness or a whole week with no help from Josh. I chose the day. Hopefully it is the right choice. Cant wait to see you guys. And again I hope you dont mind me copying you. I was very hesitant to do it but it was so cute and I know that Josh appreciated it. So thank you for the idea.
Post a Comment