Saturday, October 16, 2010

Why do I worry...

Anyone who knows me knows I worry. About everything all of the time. This last few months it has been exhausting. Beckham having a reaction to peanut butter was a little scary for me and then the thought of the next time getting a peanut and having an even worse reaction is scarier. I worry that I will be helpless if by accident he got a peanut waiting for an ambulance to come while watching my child unable to breath. It would be awful (I think my experience as a nurse has made this fear even worse because I have seen such awful things!) The worry just increased when I started Kaden in school (because of his tree nut allergy) they made me fill out a crisis folder for him. Our school district is really strict because they had a death of a third grader from a peanut allergy a few years ago (so this of course has me worried even more). I don't know what I would do if I lost one of my little boys...they are my world!
So on Wednesday I asked the Doctor what I do to stop the worrying...it is worse than the grocery shopping (which is awful...everything seems to be processed in a peanut facility. I seriously mean everything! I have to check every package I pick up...even the pre-sliced apples at walmart are processed in a peanut facility). He suggested we draw an IGE level (which measures the immune systems reaction to nuts) on Kaden and check it every six months to see if it is changing for better or worse. I think it measures on a scale from 0-12. The Dr. called yesterday to tell me that Kaden's IGE level was 0. YIPEEE! I got off of the phone and was in tears not because I was worried but for once since all of this has started I felt hopeful. Now the test can be wrong and falsely negative. So Kaden goes in next month to have another skin test done. If it is negative then we get to do food challenge tests where Kaden and I spend the entire day with the Doctor and he gives him bits and pieces of the nut in a controlled environment. I am trying not to get my hopes up but I would be overwhelmed with joy if I didn't have to worry about one of my boys going to school and the possibility of encountering a scary allergen! I am just praying that maybe Kaden is one in the 9% of kids that out grow their food allergy!!!

2 comments:

Tyler & Rose-Ellen said...

Yay Tiffany that is wonderful, hopeful news!

paigernate said...

that would be SUCH a relief!! nate's mom was out-grew her peanut allergy.. it really can happen :)
he turquoise color i use is american accents aqua color. i get it at either hobby lobby or joann's (other craft stores may have it too). i love american accents because it goes on super nice and thick- it takes A LOT less coats then other brands.
good luck with working again. i am working one day a week and it really is nice. it makes me a MUCH better mom i think :) i really looks forward to going in but also to having the next day at home with her :)
i cannot believe how close we are getting. do you guys have anything lined up!? i am not sure what we are going to do....still applying. we are SO SO SO hoping to make it a little more west!